Saturday 22 February 2014

Inter religious marriage

"Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?"

I know I am not married but this is when I should start thinking about it, talking about and looking forward to it. Inter religious marriages is something a lot of young people run away from. Someone actually told me it's stupid for a Christian to marry a Muslim. I think I was angry at that statement. Now the bible says we shouldn't be yoked together with unbelievers and I am not disputing that. But it goes on to say 'what do righteousness and wickedness have in common?'. Did it say Christians are righteous and other religions are wicked?

Now let's look at what righteousness means:
In Gen 6:9 we learn that Noah was a righteous man, blameless among people.
In Pro 10:21 we learn that a righteous man is one whose lips nourish many.
In Ezekiel 18:9 we learn that the righteous follow God's decrees and keep the laws (which in luke 10:27 is "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul with all your strength and with all your mind and love your neighbor as yourself").

In Luke 10: 25-37, a certain person asked what it would take to inherit the kingdom of God and he answers himself with luke 10:27 above and Jesus goes on to explain that the Samaritan was more righteous than the preacher.

I think claiming a religion and despising others without getting to know their reasoning is just wearing a fake look. Should I have to tell you I'm a Christian before you know? It should be in my attitude. It's sad when people think you aren't a righteous person cause you haven't attended their church or hash tagged 'I'm a Christian on your tweets' or cause you don't put up a deep pm on Sunday or cause you don't believe in shouting when praying to God. I would think just being righteous is enough to show people what you really stand for.

So what's my opinion on inter religious marriage. We have just two kinds of religions, good and bad.
I wouldn't marry a Muslim that doesn't love God and humanity but doesn't mean I would marry a Christian with such traits too. It could be a Buddhist that I see as a believer. So yes I kick against inter religious marriages but I define inter religious as good and bad getting unequally yoked. What do good and bad have in common?

Bible passages: 2 cor 6:14, Luke 10: 25-37

No comments:

Post a Comment